Catholic Weddings in Ravello
In Ravello it is possible to get married in :
- Ravello’s Cathedral
- Santa Maria a Gradillo’s Church
- San Giovanni del Toro’s Church
- San Francesco’s Church
The Ravello’s Cathedral, which is also the city’s heart, was built in 1087 on the central piazza del Vescovado, by the wishes of NicolĂ˛ Rufolo, and was consecrated by Orso Papice, the first bishop of Ravello. It is decicated to Saint Pantaleone.
The interior with nave, two aisles and three apses is magnificently decorated and has the peculiarity of the floor being sharply inclined towards the square.
Santa Maria a Gradillo’s Church – location and description
The Santa Maria a Gradillo’s Church is a Romanic church located at the Ravello’s main entrance and was built in the XII century.
The church has a belltower in Arab-Sicilian style, since in the XII century. Ravello was trading partener with Sicily and the Middle East.
In the ancient times it was the noble parliament of Ravello where nobles used to meet to discuss public affairs. The church is made of three naves divided by columns.
San Giovanni del Toro’s Church – location and description
Its name comes from the hill on which it rises, the ancient Mount Toro.
It is located in the highest part of Ravello.
Its foundation dates from before the year 1000 AD. It was rebuilt for the first time in 1200 AD and consecrated in 1276. The church was rebuilt again in 1715.
The building’s faĂ§ade has three portals decorated with gothic tympanums. The interior has three naves with small apses and domes. The most valuable work in the church is the Ambone del Vangelo (Ambo of the Gospel). This was included in the 1896 edition of the Golden Book of Italian masterpieces and testifies the role played by Islam in the development of southern Italy culture during the 11th and 12th centuries. This pulpit was made in the 12th century by Alfano from Termoli upon commission of the Bove family, whose coat-of-arms is clearly visible: two bulls surrounded by nine rings of red, white and blue clover. Below the pulpit are ancient frescoes of Jesus and Mary Magdalene with other female figures in contemplation. A staircase near the right-hand aisle leads down to the Crypt. This hypogean room, lit by means of a mullioned window with one light in each of the three apses, has round cross vaults and there are important 14th century frescoes depicting holy scenes.
San Francesco’s Church – location and description
The San Francesco’s Church was founded by Saint Francis of Assisi in 1222 when he came back from the Far East.
It is located along the walk to Villa Cimbrone.
The church is a jewel of Gothic art and was altered in the 18th century but still retains ancient columns.
Wedding Ceremony in Ravello’s churches
Catholic Wedding Ceremonies in Ravello can be celebrated in English
Wedding floral arrangements in Ravello’s churches
The church can be decorated at your pleasure with flowers, vases, urns, organza, trees and candles but it is not possible to decorate pews.
Wedding Music in Ravello’s churches
There is the possibility to have music.
It is possible to choose among many options:
- Organ and Violin
- Organ and Oboe
- Organ and flute
- Organ, violin and singer (soprano or tenor)
- Organ, oboe and singer (soprano or tenor)
- Organ, flute and singer (soprano or tenor)
- Harp and Violin
- Harp, violin and singer (soprano or tenor)
- Organ and string trio
- Harp and string trio
- Harp. String trio and singer (soprano or tenor)
- String quartet
- String quartet and two singers (1 soprano and 1 tenor)
- String quartet, oboe and two singers (1 soprano and 1 tenor)
- Harp, string trio, oboe and two singers (1 soprano and 1 tenor)
From spring to late autumn
Contact our staff to start planning your Catholic Wedding in Ravello!